On Fri, 17 Aug 2007, Frank Barknecht wrote:

for messages and objects as in Max? (Personally I prefer that both
messages and object boxes use a dollarsign for simplicity, but I also
know from teaching workshops, that many "newbies" get confused by
this. But then, they also confuse the difference between subpatches
and abstractions ... it goes away with time.)

Simplicity of the language gets balanced by complexity of what you write in it. It is not a zero-sum game: a little less complexity in the language means a lot more complexity in the patches. In the end, it's a loss.

Unlike the difference between subpatches and abstractions, at least part of the complexity of not having abstraction $ in messageboxes does not go away with time. It makes clumps around messageboxes and they stick around there because they are necessary to compensate for a lack of complexity in pd.