On Fri, 20 Mar 2009, Frank Barknecht wrote:

For example I'd rather start with making people properly left-align their patches and avoid crossing patch cords

well, I do my best to reduce the number of crossings, but if I have to avoid crossings completely, I'll just avoid Pd...

Pd doesn't make it easy to avoid crossings.

Not all crossings are even bad. Crossings that are ambiguous-looking are very bad. Too many crossings in the same area is bad, except if the crossings are very regular-looking (a line crossing a bunch of parallel lines is more orderly than a line crossing a bunch of random-angled lines).