On Mon, 23 Mar 2009, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

Here is another patch. I call it [mapping/variance2]. It computes a moving variance using exactly the $1 last values and not any more than that. It has more rounding error, but it doesn't have any unwanted delay between the two moving averages used in computing variance.

Well actually, my [mapping/variance2] also doesn't have the same drift characteristics (nor other error characteristics) as [mapping/variance], so, my examples about [mapping/variance] don't drift when remade with [mapping/variance2], but some other examples (that I didn't show) are worse with [mapping/variance2].