OK, then this needs to be added to the install instructions.

D.

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

On Mar 28, 2009, at 10:01 AM, chris clepper wrote:

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 6:10 AM, Derek Holzer <de...@umatic.nl <mailto:de...@umatic.nl>> wrote:

    ---->side note to HC: is X11 a prerequisite for GEM on OSX Pd
     Extended now? I saw some people at my last workshop had some
    missing libs with newer Pd Extended installers...

Nothing in the GEM code relies on X11, but I think the extended build is using it for freetype and/or FTGL. Those can be statically built into the binary like we have done for GEM releases on OSX in the past.

Gem gets linked against Apple's freetype, which is part of the X11 package, so that's where the requirement comes from. It would be possible to make Gem use the Fink freetype. Mac OS X 10.5 now comes with X11 installed, so this issue only applies to 10.4. There is a decent FAQ entry on how to install X11 for people with 10.4:

http://puredata.info/docs/faq/macosx

Access to computers should be unlimited and total.  - the hacker ethic

--
::: derek holzer ::: http://blog.myspace.com/macumbista ::: http://www.vimeo.com/macumbista :::
---Oblique Strategy # 189: