Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
On Sat, 4 Apr 2009, Martin Peach wrote:

etc...). For instance "greaterthan", "lessthan", "and", "or"; then some aliasing method could provide a means on those systems that can handle it to refer to them as '<' or whatever).

Perl uses gt,lt,ge,le,eq,ne as string comparisons whereas >,<,>=,<=,==,!= are used for numeric comparisons. Perl needs both by design. You could reuse the same names.

The shell's [] (/usr/bin/test) also has -gt,-lt,-ge,-le,-eq,-ne, which it uses for numeric comparisons, whereas it uses >,<,>=,<=,==,!= for string comparisons. It also needs both by design.

Sure, but bash is written in c and it can call its functions whatever it likes because they are built into the program. (It will also try to interpret your file name if it isn't alphanumeric) Pd too has that freedom for its built-in functions but also has the ability to load a subset of all imaginable functions as externals. The limitation lies in the inability of the various operating systems to accept files named using arbitrary combinations of the available character set. All of the OSs that I know of can handle regular a-z type characters, so I suggest sticking to that range for the names of externals.
That's all.

Martin