I had checked the bug tracker before, but since was an old bug I was
wondering if there was a way to solve.

i guess this is not quite true.
> [bytes2any] should work just fine, only if you try to display the result in
> one or any way, the pd-gui will freeze.

to be precise, you are right. the pd freezes because the patch had a [
prepend set ]  and then a message , to print the supposed conversion. Now I
understood the issue.

Just for curiousity: Is there other characters where this happens?

I know another character bug(?) - I can't print "#" (hash character) in
canvas (but it prints in messages and symbols)... In canvas # is changed for
$ ...

thanx
glerm