Miller's book is pretty nice. The docs also include filter-graph abstractions to profile filters similar to yours but a bit more powerful in that they also
graph the phase response.

do you mean the examples around fig8.12 from figs.zip (filter section)? I just tried out a couple minutes with them, and they looked made to do the pictures, and not to serve as a general patch.

Some nitpicks: your patches use some objects not available to me, namely [f+] and [lbang]. I assume they are trivial objects, why didn't you use use the
standard [loadbang] and a [f][+] counter? Also the signal sends etc. are
global, which makes it impossible to use the objects to compare two filters
side by side.

these are my abstractions, you get them in pd-ext/jmmmp. lbang I use while working on the patch, because it allows me to rebang, and f+ gives me more options easily than just the "normal" counter. I might try a diferent approach to the signal sends, involving $0 and copy-paste.