On Aug 27, 2009, at 3:47 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

Hallo,
How about Outlet0, etc? Its really just a unique ID, so once parsed the
tag could be displayed as whatever.

Actually I think, "Outlet 0" is easier to parse with Pd: [route Outlet]-[route 0 1 2 3]. Having a separator like the ":" makes reading easier. I guess, for Pd parsing padding that with spaces would help and not hinder readability that
much.

[route outlet0 outlet1 outlet2 outlet3]

So outlet comments could look like:

Outlet 0 : left stereo signal
Outlet 1 : right stereo signal

I will for now continue to not use a space, and when I'm done, run a regex over
them.

Rarely do people have a standalone colon in writing, so this will create a common syntax error.

Many tag interfaces use space-separated tags, its a common idiom.  It
makes sense with Pd too.

I *really* want multiple-word tags. :) So a separator is needed, but one
without Pd-meaning could be used, like "-".

A "-" dash/minus/hyphen separator would be a much better option than a colon ":" since in normal (English at least) usage, a "-" is separated on both sides with a space.

Can you give some examples of why [pd META] needs multiple-word tags? I mean its nice sometimes, but there are very well established tag interfaces that use space-separated tags. Since this text is in Pd patches, it should follow Pd syntax rules, since Pd users already know them well, unless there is a strong reason to diverge. With only a few exceptions, the function in an object box is the first word in a space-separated list. In a message, the first word of a space- separated list is the selector.

What's more needed is a quoting mechanism. Space-separated tags usually use "two words" quotes to join them. But that's a bigger issue in Pd...

Anyway, many values use commas already, because they are written in natural
language which has commas so the parser should be aware of them.

That is for sure something that will happen and will have to be handled. I just ask that we avoid making commas and semi-colons a required part of the data format.