Quoth IOhannes m zmoelnig, on 27/01/10 09:11:
hmm.
1st, you obviously had imagemagick installed, because the backtrace
showed that Magick::Image::read() threw an exception which was not
caught by Gem.
now Gem tries it's best to do catch the exception (and normally it does).

this reminds me of an old (though hopefully fixed) issue with ati
drivers (i think) linking to their own libstdc++ which kind of confused
the throw/catch mechanism and led to all kind of weird errors.

which version of Gem are you using? (sorry to repeat myself if you
already answered it)

mfgasdr
IOhannes

I was using one of the latest build's of pd-extended and have now updated it to 0-42.5-extended-20100126 which has Gem 0.92.2. I also tried Pd-0.41.4-extended-ubuntu-hardy-i386.deb from puredata.info but the problem was the same in all these versions. When I looked closer at the backtrace I assumed that maybe I had some library missing so I installed imagemagick via synaptic - although perhaps it just upgraded the version, or as you say forced the the ati-driver to use libstdc++. However, this seems to have fixed things, and I can now load images in pix_multiimage and pix_imageInPlace.

thanks

james