Quoth Justin Glenn Smith, on 18/02/10 19:53:
Hmm, I think [linuxevent] might be the way to go. There's a post from
Hans in the archives that suggests adding the user to the input group to
open the keyboard, but I think the group is root? So is this really the
best way to input my keyboard as an ordinary user in pd? I'd rather not
have my everday user account with root priveleges.

The point of a group is not giving out root privileges. Adding a user to the
input group gives access to input devices, just like adding to the audio group
gives access to audio devices. The file to edit for this is /etc/group

Thanks for the tip. I worked this out in the end, despite temporarily disabling root priveliges on all accounts! So now I'm using [hid], which is great! But it's outputting double triggers for each key press - is this normal? I've attached a patch to illustrate the problem and how I have worked around it for now, but would be interested to hear other options or alternatives.

thanks

James