colet.patr...@free.fr escribió:

I don't think you're wrong on this but, what about [until] object that can just
crash/hung the COMPUTER and not only pd?

Yeah, that's an issue that should be addressed.
1) If the COMPUTER hangs (it does not happen to me, in Window, when I bang an [until] object, but maybe it's because I'm on a dual core machine), it is the operating system's fault. No matter how bad a program hangs (even in the case of a malicious program), the operating system must guarantee that the whole system keeps working and that you have at least the ability to kill the hung/offending program 2) When you trigger an infinite loop, Pd shouldn't hung: it should warn you that a possibly infinite message tree is hanging the execution of the patch, and it should allow you to interrupt it, at the very least to save unsaved patches and exit. Or it could not warn you at all but some "kill" button should then always be available on the console window (for example).

As I see it, Pd is a virtual machine and the patch is the program that runs on that virtual machine. So if your patch is buggy (i.e. triggers an infinite loop), the virtual machine can hang, that's ok, it's the patcher's fault, but the virtual machine is virtual and should only "virtually" hang. Pd, which simulates the virtual machine, is also an application, and the patch is its input: and no matter the input, the application as such shouldn't hang.

Flash Player for example does that: if your script gets trapped in an infinite while, the player (the virtual machine) prompts the user to decide whether to interrupt the execution (it can't know whether the loop is infinite or just very long, and so can't pd know - but it detects a possible hanging and prompts the user whether she wants to interrupt it or keep waiting, in which case the prompt pops up again later). It seems to me that this often fails to work properly in Flash Player however.

Btw I thought I had heard of a "watchdog" process of Pd (there would be three processes: gui, engine and watchdog) whose function would be to avoid Pd hanging your computer......

--
Matteo Sisti Sette
matteosistise...@gmail.com