well ..
antennas are important btw ..

but check how many networks are there in the area,
then if you could find what channels they use try to use a channel with
least number of networks ;)

but if you still don't get it ..then something is crap.
also try to setup a network between two machines ..but why do you need
wireless anyway? it's not good for this application ..

if you really wanna use it - try to disable all posible clients (make 300% sure
that there is nothing going on the network appart form you pd thing).
and as i've said - check for noise ..
and may be try with bigger antennas ;)