Celine
glad to hear the problem was resolved!
:)
KIM

Celine Berger wrote:
Hello August,
Hello Kim,
List,

thanks a lot for your very fast reaction to the Email of Derek concerning the
issues we had with my installations'pd-patch and the readanysf ~ error.

Derek could solve the problem by cleaning up the headers of the wav files, removing the markers by re-encoding with sndfile-convert as Kim suggested. For the sake of completeness here the answer to the other questions: - Are you using MacOS X? mac osx 10.6

- What version of readanysf~? / gav/ gmerlin_avdec packages? The one packed in Hans-Cristoph Steiner's binary package for MacOsX Intel (http://puredata.info/Members/hans/ReadAnySf)
libgmerlin_avdec.1.dylib, libgavl.1.dylib

- When the sound goes to noise, is it just that one particular soundfile that
is used in readanysf or is it PD's entire output?
First we had individual files, but in a random way (not a particular one) the other one
were playing correctly. After a certain amount of time all the readanysf~ would
eventually be "playing noise".

Many thanks again for your fast support!
All the best,

Celine Berger

Hello August, list....

I'm helping a student's installation, and we have created a patch which
uses 24 instances of readanysf~ to read from 24 different soundfiles
between 15min and one hour in length. All sound files are mono, 16 bit,
44.1KHz WAV_PCM format.

The problem is that, after a length of time, the readanysf~ objects
output noise rather than the soundfile. It is not the result of any
single soundfile, and many or all of the readanysf~ objects can be
affected by this simultaneously.

I have attached the abstraction in question. The object is instantiated
as [readanysf~ 1], in other words the block size and and buffer size are
defaults.

Sample terminal output is as follows while the patch is running:

Created new readanysf~ with 1 channels and internal buffer of 24 * 64 = 1536
Current file is either invalid or an unsupported codec.
Current file is either invalid or an unsupported codec.
Current file is either invalid or an unsupported codec.
Current file is either invalid or an unsupported codec.
Current file is either invalid or an unsupported codec.
Current file is either invalid or an unsupported codec.
Current file is either invalid or an unsupported codec.

Opening each soundfile individually with readanysf~ and sending "play"
and "pause" messages reports no errors whatsoever, however.

I have sndfile-info data for all of the soundfiles. The only
irregularity I see in this is one file which reports:

  Unknown chunk marker at position 6087587. Resynching.

Besides that, most of the files report something like this:

File : F_DOK6.wav
Length : 146725772
RIFF : 146725764
WAVE
bext : 602
fmt  : 16
  Format        : 0x1 => WAVE_FORMAT_PCM
  Channels      : 1
  Sample Rate   : 44100
  Block Align   : 2
  Bit Width     : 16
  Bytes/sec     : 88200
*** minf : 16 (unknown marker)
*** elm1 : 7506 (unknown marker)
data : 140114520
*** regn : 92 (unknown marker)
*** umid : 24 (unknown marker)
*** DGDA : 6602919 (unknown marker)
End

Sample Rate : 44100
Frames      : 70057260
Channels    : 1
Format      : 0x00010002
Sections    : 1
Seekable    : TRUE
Duration    : 00:26:28.600
Signal Max  : 11627 (-9.00 dB)

Someone suggested the noisy output may be the result of a buffer
problem, but I am not sure who I could verify or correct this.

I checked with "top" while the noise was happening and saw no evidence
that Pd was using any more memory than usual, and the CPU meter reported
30%.

Hardware is an Intel Mac Mini, software is Pd-Extended 0.41.4.

Any suggestions or other diagnostics I could run are appreciated.

Best!
Derek
--
::: derek holzer ::: http://macumbista.net :::