I had good luck with [motex/system].  I made this little object to control iTunes from Pd using applescript.

On Jun 28, 2010, at 8:27 PM, Ben Baker-Smith wrote:

I had the same problem, on Mac OS X with Pd-extended 0.41.4

I ran some tests and it seems that relative paths in [shell] just don't work like they do with the rest of pd. For example, if you have a pd patch in the same folder as ruby_script.rb, you can't run it simply by using a "ruby ruby_script.rb" message, you have to do "ruby /full/path/to/ruby_script.rb" (as opposed to, say, media files or abstractions in the same folder as your patch).

Both [motex/system] and [ggee/shell] work on my macbook.
(thanks for the list, Hans. I didn't know there were two [popen] objects)

Ben Baker-Smith

There are four options to try, let us know which works best for you:

flatspace/popen
moonlib/popen
motex/system
ggee/shell

.hc

On Jun 28, 2010, at 6:55 PM, Jon wrote:

> hi
> i'm trying to execute a ruby script from the shell object by sending
> it the message "ruby /path/to/script.rb arguments" but i get nothing.
> the script works fine from the command line, with the exact same
> arguments. is there an alternative?
> i'm on osx, latest stable pd extended
> thank you

I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three meals a day for their bodies, education and culture for their minds, and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits.      - Martin Luther King, Jr.