On Oct 1, 2010, at 2:31 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010, Pedro Lopes wrote:

Then its all about reconnecting pd with these "more friendly GUI features". Even if they don't make it to vanilla, why not extended?

pd-extended is only for the things Hans wants, and if it's not something that is expected to go in vanilla, it better be damn important, to justify maintaining a long-term difference between extended and vanilla.

I've heard Hans say that he can't use DesireData code because it's licensed under the GPL. Pd-extended is also said to be licensed under the GPL, but the pd core section of it comes with Miller's BSD notice, and any contributions to vanilla need to be under the BSD. However, in all those years, Hans never asked me whether relicensing any piece of it would be a possibility, so I think that the license issue is just a façade for another issue.

These are both incorrect. There are things in Pd-extended which I did not want to be there, I believe compromise is good sometimes. Pd- extended is GPL and can therefore incorporate code from DesireData. Pd-vanilla is BSD and my modifications to pd itself are also BSD. I don't want to maintain GPL modifications to pd core. Someone else could.