IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
On 2010-12-14 15:31, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
I believe the objection you mention is that Pd-extended automatically
creates ~/pd-externals.  ~/pd-externals is the standard user-install
path for Pd-vanilla and Pd-extended.

I would second the suggestion someone made of a .pd-extended (with dot) folder in the user's home as that seems quite standard for many linux apps... Of course I'm not sure how much this would break existing libraries which rely on the pd-extended folder.

Lorenzo.
since i think that lorenzo relates to me raising the issues, i can
confirm that i am indeed concerned with pd-extended automatically
creating the ~/pd-externals folder.

i don't mind so much if the ~/pd-externals folder is searched
automatically, but why would anybody want to have an empty folder in
their home-directory.

  No sudo or root access needed.
people who are able to copy a file from ~/Downloads/superduper into
~/pd-externals can probably be expected to be able to create a
~/pd-externals directory.
for externals that come with an installation routine (for users who are
not willing to copy files around manually), this can create the
directory as well.

ghmsdft
IOhannes