João and Jonathon,

Thanks for the information.

If you set the canvas size to 1,1 the subpatch shows up about the same
size as the default array canvas size. I done some experimenting with
setting gop with pd-pdsubpatch and not donecanvasdialog but the other
message with fewer arguments. Couldn't you just send the canvas a
message to tell it whether it is a text atom or a graph? I looked
through the code for quite a while but could not find how this could
be done.

I read somewhere that even if gui elements are not drawn in  a
subpatch they take use a lot of cpu.
Is this true? How much processing goes on for  gui elements when not visible?