pd binary needs msvcr71.dll to load gem certainly because it has been compiled
with visual studio,
it's funny because when it was about using cygwin to compile things, we stopped
because we had to add cygwin-1.dll...

anyway just copy and paste msvcr71.dll to your vanilla bin dir and it should be
able to load gem dll unless it mlisses other dll's, we never know :o)
or put this dll to your windows/system32 folder, to share it with both
versions, but personaly I don't like to put things in this folder, because it
sometimes create problems in other applications.

I also don't use libdir, I really find it complicated, conflictual, and
useless, you just need to put the external folder name before external name
like this:

[flatspace/prepend] or [cyclone/prepend] or [cxc/cxc_prepend]or
[iemlib/iem_prepend]

that's why I also never use abstractions that use externals without namespace,
or that use externals at all, unless the abstraction is packaged with the
external itself, like in gridflow for example, or unless the external is in
extra folder.

----- "Billy Stiltner" <billy.stilt...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hey
> When I only try to load libdir I get
> I do get an error at start up saying libdir: can't load library.
>
> When I try to load Gem I get a dialog about missing msvcr71.dll
> then
>
> libdir: can't load library
> C:\\audio\\pd-0.43-0\\pd\\extra\\Gem\\Gem.dll: couldn't load
> Gem: can't load library
>
> The version of gem I'm using is the one that comes with pd 0.42.5
> extended.
>
> I just copied the directory to the vanilla ext directory.
>
> A strange thing is now when I run pd vanilla 0.42.5 I get the same
> error.
> Maybe I should use the Gem that is in the 0.42.5 vanilla ext
> directory?

Patrice Colet