On Jun 26, 2011, at 1:17 PM, august wrote:

Hans,

        are the 'upstream' and 'pristine-tar' naming conventions of debian?
        do you have branches for the tarballs?

These branches are Debian naming conventions that the git-buildpackage tools handle for you with tools like git-import-orig.

        What is a pristine-tar ?

pristine-tar is a utility for regenerating the pristine tarball of the release. That's the purpose of the pristine-tar branch too.

        I'd like to learn the packaging stuff, so I will try to go through
        the process myself.  Maybe I can solicit your help every now and
        then, if possible.

Yup, of course. The Debian pkg-multimedia team is also a very good place to learn, get help, and find uploaders. There is a reference wiki that I find useful too:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia/DevelopPackaging

        We need to think however about the versioning and the SONAME of the
        .so files.  Any ideas on how this will (or should) work?  I have the
        SONAME set to libpd.so.0 for now.  I think that fits.  If there are
        ABI changes, we can up it to libpd.so.1

I think that makes sense.

.hc

        -august.

Cool, I think this then means that libpd bindings for python, etc.
can be also packaged up.  Once this package is ready, I'm happy to
take it thru the Debian submission process via pkg-multimedia and
get it into Debian.  Or even better, you can easily do it yourself
via pkg-multimedia and start the process of becoming some kind of
Debianista (Debian Maintainer or Debian Developer).

One detail about which files go into which git repo: libpd.pc should
definitely be in the official libpd repo, but the debian/ files
generally should not.  They key part is to not include the debian/
files in the official tarball.  But packaging is much easier if the
upstream tarballs are imported and everything is done in the git-
buildpackage workflow with 'upstream' and 'pristine-tar' branches.

.hc