On Aug 2, 2011, at 4:14 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 08:59:49AM -0500, Charles Henry wrote:
I'm mainly interested in using Pd for scientific and engineering
research.  I have a mixed level of experience--I'm deep into the DSP
routines, but I have no clue how data structures work.

About the only application I can think of right now is a "data
logger"--recording info about a particular trial/experiment and its
results.

I'd like to learn easy or more compact ways to accomplish things with
data structures.

I will look forward to your workshop!  Thanks much!

Data structures can be nice problem solvers in unexpected areas as well, not only in visualizing/graphically editing data. For example, they are used hidden away to implement a fast vanilla list sorting in the newest
[list-sort], or in the [m_symbolarray] object of the rj library to
mimick a [table] object that stores indexed symbols instead of floats.
A users of these objects never sees the data structures inside,
they don't even have a graphical representation but instead are just
used as what their name says: as data structures.

Wow, I didn't know all that was possible. It would be really nice to have a 'data structures' library that implemented all sorts of standard data structures like hashs, dictionaries, etc. An array of symbols is a good start. I wonder how many others are possible.