On Aug 23, 2011, at 3:43 PM, Martin wrote:

On 23/08/11 03:29 PM, Stephen Lavelle wrote:
I've managed to hurt my ears twice over the past two days when using PD w/ headphones. Even at lowest system volumes, it seems that Terrible Things can happen. Are there any precautions that I can take to make it feel less like I'm taking my life into my hands when I have to use headphones?

Try making a [noise~] connected directly to a [dac~] and set the headphone volume so you can live with that. Nothing will ever be louder than that.

Hmm, I don't think that's actually true in all cases. On a MacBook Pro running Mac OS X, I've had the volume set to one above mute, but had massive feedback from LPC patches that were very very loud. [noise~] would be very comfortable at that volume setting. I think some platforms do the output mixing in the digital domain, so my min volume would be [*~ 0.01], so that this would still make a very loud sound:

[noise~]

[*~ 999999]

[*~ 0.01]     (i.e. the Apple output mixing)

In this particular case, the sound output actually gets shutdown entirely, so you have to reboot to get sound output again.

I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. - General Smedley Butler