Diana Deutsch is another good source. She has papers and a textbook, Psychology of Music. From what I know the academic tome is Bregman's Auditory Scene Analysis. There are a couple of illustrations included in Pd-extended, Help Browser -> Manuals -> Cognition. They are kind of rough.

If anyone wants to improve those patches or contribute more, I'll include them.

.hc