On Sat, 3 Sep 2011, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

It needs to be that simple for the general case because Pd Vanilla has no (sensible) mechanism to convert a symbol atom into a float.

Then it needs a sensible mechanism to convert a symbol atom into a float.

If symbol atoms which look like numbers to the naked eye are going to start flying around more freely in Pd then the docs need to explain how atoms are a kind of weird file cabinet where the label on the cabinet tells you which file-folder inside actually holds the data.

That's called a union or a variant record type or an «any» type or a sum-type or whatever else.

If it looks weird and/or difficult, it's because it's not taught in a way that makes it understood as normal.

Also, I'm assuming [list implode] would accept and process a list at the left inlet, unlike [s2l] (which passes the 1st element to the right inlet).

I don't understand. Wouldn't [list implode] correspond to [l2s], whereas [list explode] would correspond to [s2l].