On Sep 26, 2011, at 8:16 PM, Marvin Humphrey wrote:

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 11:26:27AM -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
Check out the GUI plugins, they could be a fun way for you to learn Tcl.

Yes, this is actually one of my motivations. :) I went through some of the Pd tutorials a couple years ago, and have meant to get back into it for a while. Then recently, I gained a professional reason to learn Tcl, and it's
provided me with an excuse to dive into the Pd source code.  :)

Wow, that's interesting. I don't often hear that, people using Tcl in their work.

You can customize a lot of the way the GUI works using them.  Key
bindings are easy. You could check out the completion-plugin to see how
it does the Enter key binding, and then just use that to bind to Esc.

http://puredata.info/docs/guiplugins/

http://download.puredata.info/completion-plugin

Unfortunately, this plugin is GPL'd. I cannot create a derivative work from
it to supply to Vanilla.

Marvin Humphrey

Sure you can, its a .tcl script, meaning you are giving the user the source whenever you are giving the user the program. So its even kind of BSD-ish because you can't give the user a GUI plugin without giving them the source, so you don't need to do anything else to distribute the source. Pd patches are the same idea.