Le 2012-02-20 à 14:28:00, Roman Haefeli a écrit :

No, I agree that giving a misleading impression should be avoided, but the point (again) is that I still believe I didn't get any wrong impression (probably I'm wrong here?). I must also say I haven't looked at the code itself, but followed the commit history of Pd-0.43 and the talks in the mailing lists pd-list and pd-dev. And my impression was that some of what could be changed regarding pd<->pd-gui communication was achieved, but it's still an ongoing process.

Oh, something was achieved, yes. Pd 43 incorporates several ideas from DesireData, rewritten such that they work in vanilla/extended. For example, replacing pd-gui by plain Wish, and adding some tables so that Tk-side code can be more aware of what's going on, such as « canvas finished loading » events (though this part of pd43 is completely different from DesireData's equivalent).

But 43's «rewrite» is still a small portion of even just rewriting the Tk side of the GUI.

 Do you think that it helps making Pd be taken seriously ?
Interesting question. I haven't thought about what could help make Pd be
taken less or more seriously. Thinking about it, I feel that people
often tend to take something seriously for odd reasons,

Ok. Now think about developers. What happens when one gets enthusiastic about pd43 because the announcement sounds like there was a huge amount of change, and then looks at the code and see that in the end there isn't nearly that much difference ?