I would find it very simple if a method would allow me to find scalar nr 2571 (I have a patch with many more) by sending the message [traverse xxxx, bang, next 2571(, than by building a [2571(-[until]-[next( structure. Or for example, it's impossible (?) to erase scalers without using the mouse. Making those simple/trivial operations less laborious to program - i.e., incorporate them into [pointer] - could be a good way of making data structures more accessible. which was anyway, the original drive to create Pd, as I read in your paper (right?).

or, what was meant with "unnecessary complexity"?

Yeah... I'm still trying to figure out how to make data structures less
clunky without adding unnecessary complexity... I'm planning to go back
and look at that again.