A simple way to check is to use the cpu meter on PD.
To see more action, multiply the number of effects you are using.

Even just a large number of [throw~] and [catch~] can cause a bit of load on the cpu, while direct connections are cheaper.

As for "effects", I guess there really isn't any specific category for them as far as objects are concerned. I know there are a few objects that could be considered effects.