On 10 Oct 2012, at 21:24, Hans-Christoph Steiner <h...@at.or.at> wrote:

>> I've got mixed feelings about this. It's clearly "much preferrable" to do it
>> this way on Linux distros, which provide these packages.
>>
>> On Mac it's a minor headache to 1. install a package manager 2. install the
>> dependencies 3. make sure the build system can find the dependencies
>>
>> On Windows: ??
>>
>> OTOH, for the sake of including 3 headers in svn, everyone could just type
>> "make", and they're done.
>>
>> Anyhow, to conform to the policies and conventions of the Pd svn, I've
>> removed the headers and added the requisite instructions to the README as
>> suggested.
>
> I've seen people include external headers many times over the years, and I've
> also seen bugs arise because of it, because those included headers were out
> of date, and the person building didn't realized that the project included
> its own version of the header rather than using the 'official' one.
>
> The question to answer is: who are the people going to be building this from
> source?  The vast majority of users will want to download the binaries and
> never even think about the source code.  From my experience, I would guess
> that people who would want to compile it themselves will likely be interested
> in DSSI and LADSPA for other things also, and therefore will need to have
> those headers in a simple place for other projects too.

I probably came across as more grumpy about this than I actually am!  I agree
with the exact points you've made here, but I can also think of cases where
it's more desirable to commit things to svn. I tend to take a pragmatic view,
weighing up the reasons for / against on a case-by-case basis. In this specific
case I think you're right that the people compiling from source are likely to
be on either a Linux audio box or Mac with Fink / MacPorts / Homebrew so I'm
perfectly happy with the decision to remove the headers :)

> Does pluginhost~ work on Windows? I didn't realize that.  Does anyone
> distribute dssi or ladspa binaries for Windows?

It *should* work on Windows. The Audacity project provides a bunch of LADSPA
plugins for Windows:
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=Ladspa_Plug-ins

pluginhost~ doesn't require that the UI part of DSSI is running, so it should
make it possible to run some of the synths under Windows with no GUI.

Jamie