Wouldn't it be a good idea to settle on a graphics metalanguage rather than translating tcl code to qt or whatever?

Martin

On 2013-01-21 15:11, Leandro da Mota Damasceno wrote:
so let's see...Who´s working with what so far?

  I´d love to join a team and start learning how to code with one of the
toolkits.

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 6:03 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <h...@at.or.at
<mailto:h...@at.or.at>> wrote:

    So all those interested in a new GUI should start working on it,
    there is lots
    of interest.  Then we can incrementally change pd itself as there is
    a need.

    .hc

    On 01/21/2013 02:48 PM, Leandro da Mota Damasceno wrote:
     > You're right. Damn, you're always right :)
     >
     > So, just to know where we are right now... What have been tested/done
     > regarding the GUIs toolkits so far? I think we should at least
    have this
     > set and go on from there...
     >

     > On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 5:31 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner
    <h...@at.or.at <mailto:h...@at.or.at>>wrote:

     >> I think this is the general idea of what everyone wants to
    support.  But
     >> the
     >> way is actually takes shape is going to depend on whoever
    actually does the
     >> work. A great example of this is the PDDP (Pure Data Documentation
     >> Project).
     >> We had lots of design meetings and then no one implemented the
    ideas.  Then
     >> Jonathan picked up from that what was interesting to him and
    made the whole
     >> meta help system, the search plugin, etc.
     >>
     >> The lesson there for me is that big design discussions only work
    if the
     >> people
     >> involved them are willing to do the work to implement them.
      Instead, I
     >> think
     >> for a more decentralized community like this one, we only should
    nail down
     >> the
     >> key parts that everyone must use, then leave other decisions to
    those who
     >> are
     >> implementing those parts.
     >>
     >> So that means I'm happy to help people write there own GUI, and I'll
     >> definitely be involved in the work of making it possible with Pd.
     >>
     >> .hc
     >>
     >> On 01/21/2013 01:05 PM, Leandro da Mota Damasceno wrote:
     >>> That sounded like a Lego approach. :)
     >>>
     >>> So the way I see it the GUI development should be in the most
    seemless
     >> way
     >>> for the user, right?
     >>>
     >>> And we also have the problem between people who prefer a
    simple, leaner
     >> GUI
     >>> approach (the classic PD, for instance) against people who
    prefer a more
     >>> sofisticated, and sexy GUI. And I believe both groups would
    also like
     >> some
     >>> more knobs and stuff...
     >>>
     >>> so basically, we should at least have two options of gui: simple
     >> (classic)
     >>> or sophisticated (sexy). But it would be cool to make it open
    enough to
     >>> anyone develop their own or come up with new and customized
    ones. that
     >>> would make PD way cooler than Max/MSP or anything else. So for
    that to
     >> work
     >>> (and now I must admit I really don't know the architecture
    behind this
     >> part
     >>> of PD, so maybe it is already this way), the comunication
    between the GUI
     >>> and the rest of PD should be kept simple, fast and modulated,
    working
     >> with
     >>> the leanest possible API. I also think this is a good approach
     >> considering
     >>> that most of these toolkits will stop getting support way before PD
     >> ceases
     >>> to exist. I have also thought about the possibility of skins,
    but then
    performance...

     >>> At the same time we pick a toolkit and focus on that one first.
    So we

    <h...@at.or.at <mailto:h...@at.or.at>