On Don, 2013-02-21 at 15:15 +0100, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> On 2013-02-21 14:41, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> > On Don, 2013-02-21 at 14:13 +0100, Charles Goyard wrote:
> >> Hey, that works. But, as you may have guessed, it's awfully slow
> >> with a "large" textfile (about 3kb). I guess it's just the
> >> message box that's slow to update.
> >
> > Actually, message boxes are pretty fast. Try hiding it in a
> > non-visible subpatch so that it is not hogging the CPU by updating
> > the graphic representation.
>
> that's why i usually use [list] for these kind of operations.
> though in reality it might be slower than an (invisible) msgbox.

The problem with the list approach is that if you want to concatenate a
stream of atoms to a list, you need to pass the whole list around on
every iteration. When list grows huge, it's getting really slow. With a
message box you can append atoms in place, without passing the whole
list around. For list lengths >3000, the message box approach is
probably several orders of magnitude faster.

This whole topic has been discussed in detail back when Matju was still
involved in the list.

Roman