>________________________________

Outputting the message from [textfile] (which has its own problems because it
outputs anything instead of list), then something like [list-drip]. Splitting
the message
up in the list domain ensures that you won't lose data since everything is
treated as
a list.  So if there is the word "bang" somewhere in the middle of the message
it will come out
of [list-drip] (or a home-brewed one using [list split]) as "list bang" which
gets interpreted
by [select] as a symbol message.  That's the only way to parse a text file in
Pd without
running into errors (although you'll still lose data, for example, if
consecutive whitespaces
are needed, or special characters that Pd escapes, etc.).

-Jonathan