On 07/27/2013 04:13 AM, João Pais wrote:
Hi,

nice work. I just tested it on windows xp sp3, and it works. At some other point I can test it on w7, and ubuntu.

Some remarks, though, in case it interests you - or shold they be sent to someone else? - when patching, I could open/close an object to text edit it by using ctrl-return. This doesn't work here anymore. Was it replaced by another key combination?

Hm, I think that was added in Pd-extended/Pd-l2ork, but maybe Pd-Vanilla doesn't have it. My demo build
is based off of Vanilla so that may be why it isn't there.

- which font are you using? it looks a bit strange'

The entire dialog, or just the headings? I hard-coded some font for the headings just to get them to be bold-- that's something I'll change now that I can test it on all platforms.

- alt-f doesn't work to access the file menu. it would also be clearer if the shortcut keys (F, E, ...) would be underlined, as usual in windows menus

Probably also something that's in Pd-extended (Pd-l2ork?) but not in Vanilla. I'll check.

- I guess autopatching is always on? didn't find a switch for it

On Vanilla, yes.

- what does the "tidy up" command do, besides putting a comment in the console? would it be better to remove it?

In Vanilla and Pd-extended, nearly nothing. In Pd-l2ork, it actually tidies up the patch by aligning objects vertically and horizontally. (Can't remember the method it uses but it seemed to work ok
in Pd-l2ork when I tested it.)

- it might be a bit strange to have the same preferences menu in the media and file menus.

Ah yes, I meant to remove the one from the file menu.  I'll fix that.

And then another preferences menu in Edit. I don't know anything of menu design, but why not:
  - add the path and startup sections to the preferences window

I think those sections are deprecated in Pd-extended. Not sure about Pd-l2ork, Vanilla...

- access this window only through one menu? I guess in Media would be the most traditional place, but many programs have it in Edit.

I think "Edit" is the right place on GNU/Linux and Windows, and under the main "apple" menu on OSX.

- the GUI profile is a very nice idea, I've been doing it for years with Hans' commands. If you want, adding font+size would make it complete.

You mean the font dialog/ font "bomb"?  I think that's per canvas, no?

- are there any patches you would need to test specific parts of your work? I might be able to help with that, since I can't program C or tcl/tk

A patch with all the iemguis, text, object boxes, and message boxes is sufficient to test the GUI settings. For the others, if you try to do normal audio/midi work and let me know if you hit a snag.

On startup I get the console output:
midiin: windows: not supported
sysexin: windows: not supported
setting SO_BROADCAST

rmstopow~
... couldn't create
powtorms~
... couldn't create
scalar
... couldn't create
scope~
... couldn't create
warning -- 'template' (pd-help-intro.pd) is obsolete; replace with 'struct'

Sounds like error messages related to the patch that opens when you right-click "Help" on an empty part of a patch. Except for "setting SO_BROADCAST". Not sure what that
relates to.

-Jonathan