Hi

I've just installed pd and when I run it I get the following line
on the console, and no gui is started:

hi.
it would be great if you could provide some more information.

which version of Pd are you talking about?

0.45-3

Typo sorry: 0.45-4

where did you get Pd? how did you install Pd? (compiled from source?
package manager? other pre-built binary?)

Compiled from source obtained from the pd project page, using this
method to package it:

./autogen.sh

CFLAGS="$SLKCFLAGS" \
CXXFLAGS="$SLKCFLAGS" \
  ./configure \
  --prefix=/usr \
  --libdir=/usr/lib${LIBDIRSUFFIX} \
  --sysconfdir=/etc \
  --datadir=/usr/share/pd \
  --localstatedir=/var \
  --enable-alsa \
  --enable-setuid \
  --enable-jack \
  --enable-portaudio \
  --disable-portmidi

make
make install DESTDIR=$PKG

which OS are you using?
your path only indicate that it is a un*x like system, but it might
help to know whether you are using some obscure linux distro or plain
irix :-)

Slackware linux 14.1 64bit

% locate pd-gui.tcl /usr/bin/pd-gui.tcl
/usr/lib64/pd/tcl/pd-gui.tcl

/usr/lib64/?
is this path still used on some (linux) systems? openSuSE?

I though most 64bit OS's used /usr/lib64?

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

with a recent Pd you might have success by simply running:
 /usr/bin/pd-gui.tcl
(instead of just "pd"). the foremost reason why Pd does not start, is
that it cannot find it's own GUI component. you should be able to
start the GUI by itself, which will in turn start the "core" pd -
maybe with more success.

I did try, but:

% pd-gui.tcl Error in startup script: can't find package pd_connect
  while executing
"package require pd_connect"
  (file "/usr/bin/pd-gui.tcl" line 26)

Thanks