Hmmm, thanks--I finally got testcurs.c to compile (I note that it
has at least two errors unrelated to pdcurses in it--it couldn't find
either strlen or isprint, I had to add string.h and ctype.h to get it to
work)  While I actually have MS-VC++ 5, the instructions were enough
that I found the settings it needed--it wanted me to enter explicitly
that it required curses.lib in one of them (I would think that it
wouldn't be hard to figure out, but I guess there's no standard naming
convention or something?  It's probably too obvious that I haven't used
any code that isn't in standard headers before now...)

      I'm not sure that everything in it looks quite right (i.e. after
it resized the screen, it certainly didn't reset it to normal...) but at
least I can now fiddle with it on my own.  Thanks :)