[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> 1.  Gee, Aaron, when I've been tobogganing, going down is also just fine, and
> it is just going back up the hill that seems sluggish.  (<g>)

Oh, it was.  Never ask the 11-year old which hill is the best: he
invariably picks the biggest and steepest one.

> 2.  Well, I'm assuming that the wind chill made it seem to exposed skin that
> the temperature was -30C, and that the actual temperature was higher
> (although, depending upon where you live, you may have meant -30C before the
> wind chill).

You are correct.  I don't recall the actual temperature, just the
mention of -30 C on the radio.

>  In any event, it is possible that your LX was malfunctioning,
> but it might also have been frozen condensation.  (You didn't say whether you
> kept it in a plastic bag, or whether you were just sticking it under your
> coat, or how you were protecting (or not protecting) it.

It spent most of its time in a warm coat-pocket, though it began to slow
down after being out for a longer period.

> 3.  Supposedly, older lube grease tends to get more viscous than fresh
> grease, so this might have been a factor - I don't think you said how recent
> was the last CLA for your LX.

It was CLAed by Pentax Canada some time before I got it (I've only had
it for a few months).  The previous owner had said it was recent, but
Stan at International Camera didn't know exactly when.  The inside was
absolutely spotless, though, and that's what sold me on it.

> 4.  I have read that lithium batteries withstand the cold better than do
> alkalines or silver oxides, so (if this is true) replacing a pair of alkaline
> or silver oxide button cells with a 3 Volt lithium cell might be useful, in
> general.  However, I don't think it was the batteries, because you said that
> you tried slow and fast shutter speeds, and speeds faster than X-sync are
> mechanical in the LX.

...and the film looks just fine.  The camera has behaved just fine
since, so I'm fairly certain that it has to do with the cold.  I don't
think I've ever been out shooting in that kind of cold before, though if
I have, it would have been with the ME Super and probably at night using
bulb exposures, so I likely wouldn't have noticed if the mirror was sluggish.

Okay, as long as I'm not experiencing the onset of an LX Difficulty, I'm
happy.  Thanks to all for the responses.

Aaron

p.s. I haven't had the (mis?)fortune of experiencing Ontario's "wine",
Michel...should I be counting myself lucky?