> I would be very, very, very carefull about buying an older used Sigma zoom
> lens. Some people on the list have had problems with them. Alternately, I
> would try to find the current SMC Pentax-FA 35-80 f/4--f/5.6 zoom. I have
seen
> them used  for $40-$50; or you can buy a brand new silver version, from
B&H
> mail order. for $79.95. Yes, it has a plastic barrel construction. But it
> is rugged
> and solidly built, with surprisingly good optical performance and a good
macro

I don't know about the current FA 35-80, maybe it is made by Tamron and is
better, but I have both F 35-80 and Sigma AF 28-80 and Sigma is a much
better lens. Sharper, sturdier, macro 1:2, even if you forget that it goes
wider.
I dropped both lenses from about the same height (not intentionally) and
while nothing have happened to Sigma, the Pentax's barrel cracked, even
though it had a filter screwed in.
Both F 35-80 and Sigma 28-80 suck in terms of manual focusing.