The 'lit problem' is not a problem.   I've taken some very nice 'burning candle'
photos in a very generic way-- as in point and shoot.

The flame that has burned down into a lake in one of the big fat candles is a pretty
nifty subject.   One my my blue ribbons from the local county fair is on a candle
flame.   I walked up to a 4 inch Red Christmas candle burning on the kitchen
table with the 'lake level' about an inch below the rim and with a macro lens
took a photo just of the top of the candle.

The problem is, I don't think this sells candles.   I think buyers would want to see
the whole candle.  This means you are exercising your 'still life' talents at arranging
and photographing them.    Ifyou are going to photograph them 'lit' you won't be doing
this with the candles in
bunches/boxes or piles.

I can just see your customers lining up to buy the pretty santa claus candle based
on a photo of Santa with his head on fire.   :-(

my estimate is that  most of the candles that get sold are never burned beause they
are too pretty to burn  (other
than the generic ones that warm coffee pots and grace weddings).