[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I currently scan prints on my Umax 1220S scanner.
>
>  I would like to upgrade to a better scanner and the Epson 1640u seems like
>  good one according to specs, especially as it comes with a built in
>  transparency hood.

I'm also interested in the 1640SU and found the following where the 1640 was
compared to a drum scanner. If you want to scan 35mm, the concensus was that
you need a dedicated scanner for 35mm. Still the posted results for the
1640SU were impressive.  It seems to have enough DMax for most regular
photos, but not the under/over exposed ones. Check out Craig Yull's
attachments toward the bottom of the page. The URL below seems to have
wrapped so you'll have to piece it together.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=001Ba4&topic_id=23&to

pic=photo%2enet

If the scanner has enough dynamic range and sharpness, it is always better to
make a scan directly from the negative/slide rather than from a print. Who
know what has been lost when the machine/operator printed your neg?

Warren

This message is from the Pentax-Discuss Mail List. To unsubscribe, visit
http://www.pdml.net and follow the directions.
Don't forget to visit the PUG at http://pug.komkon.org