Robert, Can't speak from experience over years, but in my recent experience, I would have to agree with your point. However, over Christmas, I received a 28-70 f4 which, despite my initial misgivings about a lens at that price, seems to hold its own quite well! I'm waiting for an additional 2 rolls of film to come back from Christmas/New Year shootings but so far, I've been pleasantly surprised with the results. The little corner(?) of the focus ring that lifts off so that you can access the casing screws kinda bothers me but oh well... This morning, I completed a bid on http://auctions.yahoo.co.jp for the Tokina AT-X828 F Pro (f2.8) for a little over half the cost of new so I'm hoping my used cost performance on the lens will be high. Yes, it's heavy and may not be a true-blue Pentax lens, but with the FA*80-200 costing over three times the amount I paid, I think it's worth the gamble... Cheers, Jeff > -----Original Message----- > From: Robert P. VanNatta [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] > Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2001 5:54 PM > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] > Subject: Re: Beginners Lens Selection (was: zx-30) > > I guess one of my disappointments over the zooms is the fact that they > have gotten slower over the years--- almost all standardized starting > at around 4 4 on the short end and sliding to f5.6 on the long end. > > To be sure pentax has some F2.8 zooms but the prices seem outlandish > making a choice of primes better in most cases. > > Those that would hold an F4 over thier zoom range seem to > have vanished. - This message is from the Pentax-Discuss Mail List. To unsubscribe, visit http://www.pdml.net and follow the directions.