Jan van Wijk wrote:

> However, one thing puzles me a bit, there is a tiny ring just behind the
>distance-scale
> with a litle knob on it that you can use to lock the focus. What I don't quite
>understand
> is why it is possible to rotate this ring. Any hidden features or what ??

Yes.  That's not a focus lock - it's a quick-focus preset.  Even with
the knob tightened, it's possible to change the focussing of the lens
(Try it!).  This ring just gives you a pre-focussed setting you can
come back to instantly - it provides an adjustable spring-loaded detent.

So you pre-focus on where you expect your subject to be, and tighten
the knob.  If you then have to suddenly re-focus on some other subject
it's really easy to reset the lens to your original focus setting.

--
John Francis  [EMAIL PROTECTED]       Silicon Graphics, Inc.
(650)933-8295                        2011 N. Shoreline Blvd. MS 43U-991