On 18 Jan 2001, at 13:38, Mark Roberts wrote:

> Oops!
> As another list member just pointed out, Lycos is *not* the one copying and
> "thumbnailing" our images; it is indeed alltheweb.com. The thumbnails on the
> Lycos search pages are not on Lycos servers, they're on the alltheweb servers.
> THATS why Lycos was claiming they're doing nothing more than deep linking.
> Because it's true.

In fact I think that you will find that no site houses the thumb-nail images, I
expect that they are generated on-the fly, one way to test this is for Bill to
temporarily remove an image from the PUG site which is known to have been
indexed and then to search for it again (I don't know how caches may affect
this experiment though).

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA