In a message dated 1/20/01 5:28:56 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
<< (1) It can take a lot of work to transfer images from one format to
another.  I freely admit this, but expect this to become much easier in the
future with the development of new software and storage techniques.  >>

Taking liberties with your quote (above), I'll add the needed caveat
directly: (1) It can take a lot of work (and money to buy the new imaging
system e.g.: HDD to new DVDR) to transfer images from one format to another.
I freely admit this, but expect this to become much easier (but not less
expensive) in the future with the development of new (expensive) software and
(new, expensive) storage techniques (read: devices).>>
Said Mafud, kowtowing deeply, meanwhile offering profuse apologies to Chris
for his unauthorized editing of Chris' statement.

Nothing is going to get "cheaper," we'll just more for our money, as in a 20
GIG HDD today for $100 vis-a-vis a 10 GIG HDD for $150 a year ago. The amount
of time it takes for the transfer, after we've sunk a few hundred bucks in
the new archiving system, will also be costly.

If DVD becomes VDVD or ODVD (Video or Optically recorded DVD), that new
system will cost more than some will pay. By the time VDVD or ODVD becomes
cheap enough for all to afford it, what do you want to wager that another
that new system, this time maybe LDVD (Laser DVD) won't be sprung on the
consumer?
And after LDVD? Another and another and another...

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Granny reaches under her bed, pulls out one of
her many shoeboxes...

Mafud
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]