Mafud,
I was afraid you were gonna ask that! :-)
Don't remember the serial number ranges but maybe someone on the list will
have that information.
Of course, you may find an early serial number body that was modified & is
just fine.
If I were shopping for one & actually had my hands on it, I'd just check
the meter for linearity and
the battery contact for corrosion, plus evaluate the cosmetic condition. If
all that looked good then
you probably have a good sample.
If you remove the rewind knob & the parts below it, there is an adjustment
hole which an experienced
technician can look through & determine the version of the meter board.
This is quick & easy and if
you are on good terms with a local tech, it really should be free.
Most of these will also need new door seals & the mirror bumper foam but
that's not a big deal.
I don't think these are rare, its just that many are working just fine &
don't end up in the used market.
Their owners consider them old friends!
John