on 1/21/01 3:47 PM, pentax-discuss-digest at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I'm Ilford all the way, too  - particularly like the Multigrade IV RC
> pearl.  For starting out, certainly,
> using the RC paper is a time and agony saving route.   One health tip -
> use clear white vinegar
> for a stop in the dark room, about a teaspoon or so to a quart of
> water.  The stuff you buy
> is wickedly toxic.
>
> Have fun!
> annsan

Heh. No, that wouldn't make a stop bath--that would make a tray of water
(which actually makes an okay stop bath, as long as you replace it
frequently). White vinegar is about a 5% acetic acid solution, and stop bath
mixed according to instruction is about a 3% acetic acid solution. To make a
stop bath from white vinegar, use it straight or mix it up to 1:1 with
water.

If you buy white vinegar from the grocery store it ends up being mighty
expensive stop bath. The cheapest way to buy it is to get half gallons or
gallons of glacial acetic acid from a chemical supplier, and mix a dash of
glacial in a tray of water. (Be careful, though--glacial can burn you, and
don't risk getting it in your eyes.) You can also mix it in a measured
fashion, but that's not really necessary. Kodak also sells pints of glacial.

--Mike

P.S. Annsan, I can't really speak to the question you posted to me
privately...it sounds like Bob Schwalberg but I can't prove that.

visit the Pentax Users' Gallery at http://pug.komkon.org.