>Any thoughts on the merits of the 135 f2.5 versus the faster 85 and more
>compact 135 f3.5?

Practically, 135mm is significantly longer than 85mm. If you have one lens
for portrait only, I'd say 85mm is more useful. I had the SMC-M 135/3.5
which was very sharp but with dull colour reproduction. It is a very well
built lens, but manual focus is slow due to its very long focus action. But
you cannot ask too much consider it is a very affordable model.

>Also I am going to Japan soon, is it true that the standard issue LX is
>still available new? And if it isn't is there a reasonable supply of
>2nd-hand LXs in Tokyo.

Check out http://www.mapgroup.com/. I think one thing you have to consider
is whether or how many more years LX would be supported in your country.

regards,
Alan Chan