I'm glad to see there are others on the list who feel discretion is the better part
of
valor regarding darkroom chemicals.

To Mike Wilson I say thank you for stressing the dangers.

To MIke Johnson I say, it doesn't really matter to me if technically the amount of
vinegar
I put in the stop isn't sufficient - it smells nice  and I'm happy with the end
results.  If truth
be told, I just dump some into the water, don't measure it at all.  I'm way past
intellectual
exercises regarding the chemistry... might have been 20 years ago.  I really just
want
to think about the final image and if I like it... and in some cases, want to make
sure I've
made an archival print.  And, as I said earlier, I use plain water as a stop when
doing
developing of film.

To all I say, if there is anything about a chemical that can hurt you in some way
just don't
use it.  No one has convinced me that an acid stop bath is necessary.

I also refrain from using such items as "Fantastik" , household ammonia, Clorox,
furniture polish, aerosol anything and won't let anyone smoke in my house (nothing
worse than a reformed smoker!)  as a matter of fact, except for developer and fix,
I use almost nothing that has a warning label on it.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>  (snip)

> .Perhaps the most health clean developer is COFFEE !!! Yes, it can be used
> to develop films, is not very fast, but very compensating... & fun. But
> even COFFEE contains same carcinogenic agents as pyrogallol (!),
> hydroquinone, ... But of course not in such big quantities... Fortunately,
> our body can cope with them pretty well.

Ok, wolfman, will coffee work for developing prints as well?  should I use green or
dark roast?

Yours in health,
nurse annsan

visit the Pentax Users' Gallery at http://pug.komkon.org.