On 01/24/2001 06:05, Shel Belinkoff opined:

>Mike Johnston wrote:
>
>> Three handy, all-purpose reasons for
>> you to have bought your new used Gossen:
>
>> € What if your old light meter breaks? What then? Well?
>
>It is reported that Brett Weston asked, "Why should I use a
>meter? What if the darn thing broke on me when I was out making
>a photograph?  Then what would I do?"
>
>So, Mike has the answer, carry two meters.  But what if the
>second one broke?

If you learned photography with a 4 x 5 field camera, or Spotmatic with a
broken meter, your backup would be your mind's eye.

Seriously, when I was shooting every day in San Francisco, on location
and in the studio, I found that a meter was redundant unless I was
shooting to the Zone System, because my mind's solution was always right
on with the meter. So I stopped using them. My mind's system was to start
with the "sunny sixteen" and factor in or out exposure based on
conditions, with a minor fudge factor thrown in based on experience with
similar situations.

Unfortunately, I no longer have the confidence to shoot slides that way,
but I still do with B&W and Color Negative, if I have to.

JoMac, Imagineer with Camera

visit the Pentax Users' Gallery at http://pug.komkon.org.