In a message dated 1/25/01 4:14:32 AM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< It continues to amaze my the prices some are willing to pay on eBay. Time
and time again I've seen stuff sellused for way more than what you can buy
the item new for...  >>

And they pay hyped-up S&H on top of the overpriced stuph!

But remember, the Internet allows people living in places far removed from
medium or large sized towns, where they might expect to patronize a
comprehensive camera store, to buy merchandise otherwise not available to
them.
We living in the large gig-a-sized cities and serious metro areas, may have
three or four rather complete camera stores relatively close by, where they
have *nothing at all*. We are so used to walking, legal larceny on our minds,
into the local shop ready to pounce on any "bargain" we see. We even crawl
their old parts bins in the back of the store, peeking here, poking there,
trying to discover a hidden treasure.
"Aha!" we say when we find that little whatchamacallit we've been looking
for. We carry it to the counter, we ask "how much?" The sales rep, looking at
the part as if it were newly minted, says "$12.95."
We know he could sell it for $5 but no, it suddenly has value all out of
proportion to what it's worth and we pay, grumbling under our breath.
So any part, flash, lens the "outlanders," like the Aussies, might need,
regardless of how we fortunate might feel about the thing, it is *not*
overpriced to them.

The old "A bird in the hand, is worth two in the bush" thing applies here
more aptly than most anywhere.
As in: how many of us will ever actually *see*, not even speak *touching* a
real, live barely used f/1.2 SMC 50mm?
Hmmm?
Not very damn likely if at all. And so, we whip out the plastic, planning to
wheedle at least a store guarantee from them because we know the
manufacturer's warranty is kaput.
What really frosts us is when another shooter, whom we only know from bumping
into him at an open shoot, tells us on our next visit to the local shop how
*little* he paid for an f/1.2 50mm on eBay.
We want to throttle him.

So, you grab the bird...

Mafud
Zawadi Imaging & Media Company