Hi all,

I've been lately shooting some C-41 B&W film in a portrait workshop I'm
attending, and trying to make something nice of it in the other one, B&W
darkroom.

It is really "A Kind Of Magic" (just to keep with musical references)!
I'm not an emotional type but seeing the image you shoot come alive in
your hands is something of a marvel, especially for us
computer-b(l)inded...

Well, the question: I tried Kodak 400 CN, Ilford XP2 and Konica VX. All
ISO 400 C-41  B&W film with various results, the most annoying thing
being the fact that 1-hour lab prints always come up in every shade of
tones but neutral.

But when I got the negs back I saw that the film masking is very
different as well. The CN's one is almost neutral while the XP2's is
decidedly magenta while the Konika's is just like that of a plain color
film one, maybe a bit on the light side.

The question is: if I print B&W from this films how will the mask
interfere with filtering? I suppose the general contrast should be lower
but if I use a magenta filter for a high contrast it will blend with the
film mask, won't it?
Will it be the same if I tried real colour film?

I won't have the next printing session for 10 more days, otherwise I'd
just have tried it...

TIA, Flavio
visit the Pentax Users' Gallery at http://pug.komkon.org.