On 01/25/2001 20:23, Mike Johnston opined:

>I guess since I have a 4-year degree in photography and a now-20-year career
>as a photographer, I'd have to say I've done both as well. However, I never
>consciously think of the term "composition" and it enters into my thinking
>almost not at all. To me, you don't "compose" a photograph. The photograph
>composes itself and then you recognize later which photographs were
>successes.
>
>Lots of potentially honest photographs are ruined by intentional
>"composition."

Ditto. The images are already there. When I recognize this, and start
recording them with my camera, that's when I say I'm "in the zone." I
follow what my subconcience tells me to, varying angles, perspective,
etc. Then I can later spend countless hours in the darkroom bringing out
what I saw or felt when in the field. Especially so when shooting a live
model for fashion. Shoot as many frames as you can in each outfit and
situation, then later find the photographs that work the best.

Much different in the studio. Arrange, test, light, test, rearrange,
change lights, test, shoot, bracket, doubts, hesitate, start again until
you've run out of time, film, or ideas.

I presume you learned the same as I about composition, what's pleasing,
what's visually confusing, what's boring. "The Golden Rule."  Balance.
Etc..

And then were told that the best photographers find ways to "break" the
rules to attract attention to their images.

San Francisco Art Institute, Chemically Altered Class of '70!

JoMac, Imagineer with Camera

visit the Pentax Users' Gallery at http://pug.komkon.org.